Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot connect to wifi
The other day, I installed WinToUSB for the purpose of being able to use windows on other macs without bootcamp. The process was smooth, I put windows 10 on a partition of a large external hard drive that I had, and when I restarted it and opened up that copy of windows on my mac, everything worked pretty well. I installed the driver for the network adapter, and I could access google, etc.

However, when I plugged in the hard drive to another mac, I was unable to connect to the wifi. This mac is about as old as mine, so I thought I should see no difference, yet when I look under the devices for the network adapter, it tells me that it is unable to start, and so I can't access the internet on windows for that laptop. I tried a bunch of things, like un/reinstalling the driver, but nothing seems to work and google is quite sparse with information on this. If anyone has any answers, that would be great!

The first laptop, mine, is a mid-2014 macbook pro with bootcamp, which is what I used to get Windows on my hard drive
the second laptop is an early-2015 macbook pro, which is very similar, hence my confusion as to why it's not working.
(04-27-2017, 10:54 AM)JuliusCaesar Wrote: The other day, I installed WinToUSB for the purpose of being able to use windows on other macs without bootcamp. The process was smooth, I put windows 10 on a partition of a large external hard drive that I had, and when I restarted it and opened up that copy of windows on my mac, everything worked pretty well. I installed the driver for the network adapter, and I could access google, etc.

However, when I plugged in the hard drive to another mac, I was unable to connect to the wifi. This mac is about as old as mine, so I thought I should see no difference, yet when I look under the devices for the network adapter, it tells me that it is unable to start, and so I can't access the internet on windows for that laptop. I tried a bunch of things, like un/reinstalling the driver, but nothing seems to work and google is quite sparse with information on this. If anyone has any answers, that would be great!

The first laptop, mine, is a mid-2014 macbook pro with bootcamp, which is what I used to get Windows on my hard drive
the second laptop is an early-2015 macbook pro, which is very similar, hence my confusion as to why it's not working.

Please make sure that you have the correct driver. If it still doesn't work, we recommend that you recreate portable Windows on the early-2015 macbook pro to see whether it makes any difference.
I did some scans and it seems like it is the correct driver, and being of the same age I don't see why it would be different.
I can't recreate windows on that laptop because it takes awhile and I don't have much access to it (it's not mine). Is there any other reason why I would be having this issue?
(04-28-2017, 10:00 AM)JuliusCaesar Wrote: I did some scans and it seems like it is the correct driver, and being of the same age I don't see why it would be different.
I can't recreate windows on that laptop because it takes awhile and I don't have much access to it (it's not mine). Is there any other reason why I would be having this issue?

This is very strange, we have never encountered such a situation before, this issue should not exist if the hardware is identical.
You can recreate the portable Windows 10 on your own macbook pro and then first use it on early-2015 macbook pro.
So I recreated Windows 10, and used it first on the other macbook, but that didn't seem to work. I also tried installing a bunch of older drivers, but none of that seemed to work. I even tried all of this with Windows 8.1, but that didn't work either.
I'm terribly sorry, we can not find the solution to solve the problem. Have you ever run Windows on this computer before?