Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About disk optimized tool on WTG...
Hello, Guys,

I built the Windows 10 WTG (Professional Edition) on external SSD (USB3.0 to SATA3) and run it for 2 months, looks everything is good.
But I confused about disk optimized tool recently, because it shows my disk is "hard disk drive" in media type, not the "solid state drive". And looks the OS treats the SSD like a traditional hard disk to do defragmentation.

So I post a thread on other forum and try to know what happened. According the replies, I guess the rough conclusion is: if you build a WTG by the built-in tools of Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, you'll see the correct media type "Solid State Drive"; if you built by WinToUSB, you'll see the "Hard Disk Drive" like me. The point is the OS may not do the right things to the SSD drive.

I don't know wether it is a correct thought, so I post here and hope to have some help.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks a lot for any help!

PS. Sorry, I don't mean WinToUSB is bad, actually it is a very good tools and helps me to finish WTG very easily. I just have a confused problem needs to be figured out. Thanks for the team of WinToUSB!!!
(10-13-2017, 05:26 PM)Lavik Wrote: Hello, Guys,

I built the Windows 10 WTG (Professional Edition) on external SSD (USB3.0 to SATA3) and run it for 2 months, looks everything is good.
But I confused about disk optimized tool recently, because it shows my disk is "hard disk drive" in media type, not the "solid state drive". And looks the OS treats the SSD like a traditional hard disk to do defragmentation.

So I post a thread on other forum and try to know what happened. According the replies, I guess the rough conclusion is: if you build a WTG by the built-in tools of Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, you'll see the correct media type "Solid State Drive"; if you built by WinToUSB, you'll see the "Hard Disk Drive" like me. The point is the OS may not do the right things to the SSD drive.

I don't know wether it is a correct thought, so I post here and hope to have some help.

Anyone has any idea?

Which disk optimized tool are you talking about? Please take some screenshots and send it to us.
Thanks.
(10-13-2017, 06:42 PM)admin Wrote:

Anyone has any idea?

Which disk optimized tool are you talking about? Please take some screenshots and send it to us.
Thanks.

Hi, I mean the default optimized tool of Windows. 

(10-13-2017, 07:16 PM)Lavik Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 06:42 PM)admin Wrote:

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

Hi, I mean the default optimized tool of Windows. 

Thanks for the information, we will analyze and solve the problem as soon as possible.
I think the problem is more with the fact that the disk is in a USB Enclosure, than who/what made the disk. I have the same problem on a W8.1 Clone, a copy that has been modified to boot from USB. Windows identifies this disk, and a WinToGo made installation as HDD's even though they're both actually SSD's. My solution was to turn off Windows Disk Optimization and use Piriform's Defraggler, which correctly identifies the disks through at least my USB Enclosures and offers to (Quick) Optimize rather than Defrag correctly. It's not recommended, nor offers any advantage, to defragment SSD's. The "optimization" is a simple trimming/zeroing of no longer used sectors. Aside, W8.1 seems to do a good job of this on the running volume by it's self even with it's disk optimization disabled? But of course takes no action on non-running volumes.

DES
Thanks DES, your guess is right. We have tested using the Windows 10 Enterprise Edition and a SSD disk, and it has the same problem. As you said, it might be a good idea to turn off disk optimization and use a third-party defragmentation tool.