Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I boot a existing VHD?
I have several external USB devices (cheap SSDs in UGREEN USB 3.0 enclosures) that can boot to Windows 10. But as most of our PCs are on 1809 already I cannot simply clone those PCs to an WinToUSB device. HASLEO says that to produce a bootable USB device one can use VHDs. I tried with differrent PC backups that I made with Disk2VHD and so far use with VMware Player installed on the device specific external SSD. I hope that I could increase speed when booting these VHDs directly and not via a virtual machine player.
Is this possible with WinToUSB?
(04-04-2019, 06:49 AM)Albert Voss Wrote: I have several external USB devices (cheap SSDs in UGREEN USB 3.0 enclosures) that can boot to Windows 10. But as most of our PCs are on 1809 already I cannot simply clone those PCs to an WinToUSB device. HASLEO says that to produce a bootable USB device one can use VHDs. I tried with differrent PC backups that I made with Disk2VHD and so far use with VMware Player installed on the device specific external SSD. I hope that I could increase speed when booting these VHDs directly and not via a virtual machine player.
Is this possible with WinToUSB?

Yes, you can create Windows To Go USB drive directly from the a VHD/VHDX file, and you only need to select the VHD file as the installation source, as shown in the following picture:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=187]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Indeed: I just managed to produce a bootable external SSD from a VHDX made from one of my notebooks made by disk2vhd. I probably failed so far (several times) as I did not use "pure" VHDs but VHDs already used by VMWare player. And probably even converted to VMWare format VHDs.
Is there any advantage in this scenario to use VHD versus VHDX?
Could you tell us more about the problem you are experiencing? So that we can help you solve it.

You don't have to use VHD/VHDX mode, which is purely a personal hobby. From our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create Windows To Go, and the VHD/VHDX mode has best compatibility.
I use VHD/VHDX files as these can be quickly produced by disk2vhd.
But I still cannot get the problem notebook running: The bootable USB-SSD I made runs into errors:
First: Error code: 0xc0000001
Then: "Stop Code: VHD BOOT HOST VOLUME NOT ENOUGH SPACE". But I do not boot a VHD file but a "normal" Windows installation albeit on an external drive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

When using a VHD/VHDX file generated with DISK2VHD as the installation source, you must ensure that the target partition on the USB drive is larger than the capacity of the source Windows partition, otherwise the "Stop Code:vhd BOOT HOST VOLUME not ENOUGH SPACE" error will occur.