Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping a Windows to Go Drive uptodate
I started with Windows 10 Pro on my PC. I produced two WinToUSB-drives on external SSDs. After a few weeks and the changes that came with it I wanted to make my main WTU drive to be an exact copy of my PC System again. Of course I could have simply run your software again. But then I would have to write all of the 125GB on my system partition on to the external SSD again. To minimize the wear and tear I want to "update" my external drive with only the new or changed files on my PC system drive (delta copying so to say). For partitions other than my system partition, for instance my music partition, I use SecondCopy to maintain a backup copy with the same information as my working music partition. As I know from the windows past it is not easy to copy/backup Windows into a backup file while it is running. Years ago one had to boot from a CD or an USB stick to bakup the "cold" windows partition. These days practically all backup software can backup a running system without any problems. But to go safe I did not run SecondCopy from within my PC Windows system but deliberately booted from one of the WinToUSB USB-drives and delta copied the now cold PC system partition to the other WinToUSB USB drive. From the log file of SecondCopy I learned that the programm indeed deleted some obsolete files and added some others that were new on the system partition. The good thing was that this WTU drive booted successfully. The bad thing was, that at least two programms that I had installed on the PC system are missing from the WTU drive.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keeping a Windows to Go Drive uptodate - by TechnoMax - 08-30-2020, 08:27 PM