Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does a license survive a new W2G installation?
I successfully got Bitlocker running on my main W2G drive with Bitlocker Anywhere after I tried it without success with the Microsoft built in Bitlocker version. But if I upgrade my W2G drive by writing it anew with my system partition in a few weeks, is my license lost with the old overwriten W2G partition or is it dongled to the specific SSD and can be installed anew on this USB SSD as long as I do not change the physical SSD?
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean, can you explain it? Are you talking about the Hasleo BitLocker Anywhere license?
Yes, as i have written already, I have produced a bootable USB SSD from my Windows 10 Pro system partition in my PC with WinToUSB. I then booted this external USB SSD successfully and then tried to run the Bitlocker from Microsoft, which failed. I therefore bought and installed Bitlocker Anywhere from Hasleo Software to this external Windows SSD and it worked.
My question is: Is this a one time only license or can it be reinstalled on this specific SSD? Does it remember any hardware code (as Windows does for reinstalls on the same drive) and therefore can be installed once again if i use this SSS for a new W2G installation from my PC system Windows as this of course wipes everything that is on the external disk so far?
Or must I buy a new license every time I upgrade my current external SSD to the status my main system meanwhile reached since the last time I ran WinToUSB?
Thank you for buying our product. The license is licensed on a per-computer basis, it allows you to activate the software on one computer. Please note that the license is bound to your computer hardware, you may not transfer the license from one computer to another if the software is already installed and registered on one computer. This means that even if you have uninstalled the software from original registered computers, you still can't activate it on another computer. We have already stated in our website and license terms. So you should activate the software on the physical computer instead of activating the software on W2G, because W2G may roam to different computers.
"The license is licensed on a per-computer basis, it allows you to activate the software on one computer".
But the Bitlocker Anywhere Software is not needed or installed on a "computer" but only on an external drive. Is the "computer" to which the license is bound the external SSD or worse only one installation under Windows (via WinToUSB a copy of the system partition of the main "computer") on this external drive?
The license is bound to the computer running this software through hardware information, not a disk. When you activate the license on a computer, the hardware identification will be saved in our database, and you can only activate the license on that computer in the future.
Once again my questions from above that are unanswered yet:
1. Is this a one time only license or can it be reinstalled on this specific SSD?
2. Can it be installed once again if i use this SSS for a new W2G installation?
3. Must I buy a new license every time I upgrade my current external SSD to the status my main system meanwhile reached since the last time I ran WinToUSB?

I will never install Bitlocker Anywhere on my computer, I use Microsoft Bitlocker for this purpose. I need Bitlocker anywhere only for external bootable drives.
4. Is the hardware indentification produced only from the main computer (a combination of Mainboard information and hard drive information) or is the info regarding the external drive included?
1. Is this a one time only license or can it be reinstalled on this specific SSD?
It is not a one time only license, it is bound to the computer and not just a disk, you can install and re-activate the license unlimited times on the computer that originally activated the license.
2. Can it be installed once again if i use this SSS for a new W2G installation?
You can activate the software again, but only on the computer where the license was originally activated.
3. Must I buy a new license every time I upgrade my current external SSD to the status my main system meanwhile reached since the last time I ran WinToUSB?
As long as you are using the software on the computer where the license was originally activated, you do not need to purchase a new license.
4. Is the hardware indentification produced only from the main computer (a combination of Mainboard information and hard drive information) or is the info regarding the external drive included?
In principle, the hardware identification should only contain the information of the host, but W2G may only recognize one disk. In this case, the information of the external disk will be used.
I tested it out: Attached to the same computer Bitlocker Anywhere could be activated with the same license as the first SSD on another SSD. (Two of my other licenses that should have worked too had failed before). And with a TBW of 80 TB for my main Kingston SSDs I can run WinToUSB probably much longer every other week or so than my main PC will be useful or working at all.
If you cannot activate the license on the computer where the license was originally activated, you can contact us to help you reset the license.