Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After booting my WinToUSB drive, there are two drives mounted
I set up a WinToUSB drive running Windows 11 home. After booting my system from this USB drive, my windows system shows both a C drive and D drive, both labeled WinToUSB. It looks like the D drive is a separate partition with a disk image on it. Maybe that disk image is mounted as the C drive? I'm not sure. The C drive has only about half the storage available, 128 GB, while the D drive appears to have the full 238 GB.

Can I get rid of this? Can I have a single boot drive, with all the storage available, as a single C drive?
(09-08-2022, 03:39 PM)ziggurism Wrote: I set up a WinToUSB drive running Windows 11 home. After booting my system from this USB drive, my windows system shows both a C drive and D drive, both labeled WinToUSB. It looks like the D drive is a separate partition with a disk image on it. Maybe that disk image is mounted as the C drive? I'm not sure. The C drive has only about half the storage available, 128 GB, while the D drive appears to have the full 238 GB.

Can I get rid of this? Can I have a single boot drive, with all the storage available, as a single C drive?

If you choose VHD/VHDX installation mode when creating Portable Windows, two drives will appear after booting Windows from USB, one is the physical volume on the USB drive and the other is the volume after the VHD/VHDX file is mounted. There is only one VHD/VHDX file in the physical volume on the USB drive, and all Windows files are stored in this VHD/VHDX file.

If you only want a single C drive, choose the "Legacy" installation mode, which installs Windows directly to the volume on the USB drive.
(09-08-2022, 06:00 PM)admin Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 03:39 PM)ziggurism Wrote: I set up a WinToUSB drive running Windows 11 home. After booting my system from this USB drive, my windows system shows both a C drive and D drive, both labeled WinToUSB. It looks like the D drive is a separate partition with a disk image on it. Maybe that disk image is mounted as the C drive? I'm not sure. The C drive has only about half the storage available, 128 GB, while the D drive appears to have the full 238 GB.

If you choose VHD/VHDX installation mode when creating Portable Windows, two drives will appear after booting Windows from USB, one is the physical volume on the USB drive and the other is the volume after the VHD/VHDX file is mounted. There is only one VHD/VHDX file in the physical volume on the USB drive, and all Windows files are stored in this VHD/VHDX file.

If you only want a single C drive, choose the "Legacy" installation mode, which installs Windows directly to the volume on the USB drive.

Thanks bro, that worked. I noticed that when you select your Windows ISO file, the WinToUSB program automatically changes the install method to VHD, and I didn't know enough to change it back. But now that I do, it's working great.
(09-10-2022, 06:03 AM)ziggurism Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 06:00 PM)admin Wrote:

Thanks bro, that worked. I noticed that when you select your Windows ISO file, the WinToUSB program automatically changes the install method to VHD, and I didn't know enough to change it back. But now that I do, it's working great.

I'm glad to hear that. Take care and stay healthy! Thanks.