Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excluding files and folders in System Backups & Disk / Partition Backups
(12-20-2023, 05:26 PM)OldNavyGuy Wrote:
(12-20-2023, 12:19 AM)Skyblue Wrote: Hello,

It looks like that HBS is skipping this registry branch :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

Browsing my system backup , I can see that the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder exists in the archive.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup\WUA :

%windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s

I just did a Full Disk Partition image, and it appears that none of the registry entries are being honored.

I'm also seeing pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys in the image as well. I posted the screen shot of that in a repy to admin.

So even though HBS uses VSS to snapshot the system, it seems it does not follow any of the exclusions.

Disappointing.

Have you checked that pagefile & swapfile are actually occupying space & not just placeholders which is what admin mentioned in earlier post here?
See the screenshot.

Not sure why you would need "placeholders"...

Windows recreates pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys on boot if they don't exist.
(12-07-2023, 10:09 PM)admin Wrote: I'm sorry that HBS doesn't currently support excluding files and folders, we'll implement it in future releases.

Is there a roadmap for when this exclusion feature might be implemented? In my case, certain software folders (games, etc) take up way too much space on my backup disc and would absolutely benefit from the ability to granularly exclude files/folders from backup jobs. Thanks!!