Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excluding files and folders in System Backups & Disk / Partition Backups
Hello,

First of all, many thanks to Hasleo Software for offering the Hasleo Backup Suite. A very nice tool developed actively by Hasleo.

Kindly, is it possible to exclude files and folders before starting System Backups and Disk / Partition Backups?

For example, some folders like C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp can contain a lot of unnecessary files increasing the size of the backups.
I'm sorry that HBS doesn't currently support excluding files and folders, we'll implement it in future releases.
Hello,

Thanks, I will wait for the future releases.
Just for further clarification, does HBS incl the hibernation & page file too in OS/system backup?
I believe not, just FileSystem place holders with no storage associated with them.
Since HBS uses VSS, it follows it should follow the list of files to exclude in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
The current version of HBS does not back up the contents of page file, swap file and hibernation file by default when backing up the system partition.
Hello,

It looks like that HBS is skipping this registry branch :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

Browsing my system backup , I can see that the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder exists in the archive.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup\WUA :

%windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s
Photo 
(12-11-2023, 05:19 PM)admin Wrote: The current version of HBS does not back up the contents of page file, swap file and hibernation file by default when backing up the system partition.

Actually, that's not quite correct...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/n9u57jmv1...5a3nq&dl=0

Using HBS 4.0
(12-20-2023, 12:19 AM)Skyblue Wrote: Hello,

It looks like that HBS is skipping this registry branch :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

Browsing my system backup , I can see that the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder exists in the archive.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup\WUA :

%windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s

I just did a Full Disk Partition image, and it appears that none of the registry entries are being honored.

I'm also seeing pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys in the image as well. I posted the screen shot of that in a repy to admin.

So even though HBS uses VSS to snapshot the system, it seems it does not follow any of the exclusions.

Disappointing.