Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certified IronKey W300 USB + WinToUSB + Windows 8/10 + Bitlocker for OS Drive works?
Hi,

I'm really hoping somebody can help me before I spend the money on a Certified Windows To Go USB Stick - The IronKey Workspace W300.

I need to be able to create a WindowsToGo stick on this drive, which is certified for WindowsToGo, however I want to use Windows 8/10 Home or Pro rather than Enterprise.

A requirement is that the OS drive can be encrypted using BitLocker.

I successfully got WindowsToGo to work with Windows 8.1 Pro on a non-certified USB Stick using the VHD/VHDX method, however you can't encrypt the OS Drive when it's a VHD/VHDX, it's just not possible. So unfortunately that is not an option.

I am wondering if it's possible to do this with a certified USB Stick? When I use WinToUSB on a regular flash drive it blanks out the Legacy option and forces me to use a VHD option.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

P.S I am using the free version of WinToUSB at the moment. Looking to buy the flash drive very soon but don't want to blow £100 if it's not going to work as needed.
Yes, of course. You can use BitLocker to encrypt the destination boot partition, whether it is a Non-VHD(X) Windows To Go workspace or VHD(X) based Windows To Go workspace. Just start up your computer using the Windows To Go drive you have created, then use Bitlocker to encrypt drive C:, now you have a BitLocker-encrypted Windows To Go Workspace.