Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corsair GTX Voyager (SSD USB Stick) Installation hangs at 95%
Hi,

As my old USB stick was very slow I bought one of the fast GTX Voager USB stick without knowing that this stick is more like a mini external SSD as a normal USB Stick. It reports itself as disk so I read the guide on how to prepare the disk in order to use WinToUSB.

I first tried MBR mode with a small fat32 partition 100MB and a big ntfs partition but the stick always hangs at 95% of the install process (after copying the vhd file I use as starting point). It seems that it cannot create normal files to boot from. I then fiddled around and in the end (as my system runs from UEFI disks anyway) I used diskpart to wipe the disk, convert it to gep and create ESP/EFI partition and windows partition (interestingly a 128MB msr partition also got created although I did not opt for that). But here I have exactly the same problem installation stops at 95%.

Interesting thing I found out is, that once the installation reaches 95% you can not open any partitioning tool cause it hangs when trying to read the USB SSD Partitions. It's like WinToUSB somehow crashes access to the stick completely.

Best regards,

Marc
(05-13-2017, 11:23 PM)marcelser Wrote: Hi,

As my old USB stick was very slow I bought one of the fast GTX Voager USB stick without knowing that this stick is more like a mini external SSD as a normal USB Stick. It reports itself as disk so I read the guide on how to prepare the disk in order to use WinToUSB.

I first tried MBR mode with a small fat32 partition 100MB and a big ntfs partition but the stick always hangs at 95% of the install process (after copying the vhd file I use as starting point). It seems that it cannot create normal files to boot from. I then fiddled around and in the end (as my system runs from UEFI disks anyway) I used diskpart to wipe the disk, convert it to gep and create ESP/EFI partition and windows partition (interestingly a 128MB msr partition also got created although I did not opt for that). But here I have exactly the same problem installation stops at 95%.

Interesting thing I found out is, that once the installation reaches 95% you can not open any partitioning tool cause it hangs when trying to read the USB SSD Partitions. It's like WinToUSB somehow crashes access to the stick completely.

Best regards,

Marc

Do you mean this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Voy...ge_ce?th=1

This is very strange, we have never encountered such a situation before. The issue may be caused by anti-virus software. Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus software or adding WinToUSB to the list of allowed applications (may be called Trusted Applications/Whitelisted applications) of your anti-virus software and try again? 
If it still fails and you have another Windows computer, we recommend that you try WinToUSB on that computer. 
Yes that's the stick I'm talking about.

But this issue gets even stranger. Because I was not sure the stick was physically okay I installed the Corsair SSD Toolbox (which in myopinion has no real value) and I installed macroit disk scanner and did a sector scan of the stick. But I forgot to stop WinUSB. After quite same timer after the sector scan was finished and found no errors I wanted to shutdown my computer and do somethint else and noticed that I did let WinToUSB running in the background while I did the sector scan and everything and all of a sudden it showed 100% installation complete and the stick now works. The only problem left is, what made it work as there are more or less 4 possibiltities
1.) it really takes some an hour approximately to complete from 95% to 100%
2.) it worked accidentally (maybe next time it fails again)
3.) it worked because I did install the SSD toolbox
4.) it worked because I did the surface scan whilei it was running

However, the Stick now works and changes also seemed to be saved permantly back to the stick so no need to change the image through virtualbox anymore. What I was not disappointed is the speed of this stick (which is more ore less a mini USB-SSD drive) as speed was mostly like with the internal SSD and Windows booted in seconds. Whereas with the normal USB Stick it took approx 15-30 mins and logging in till the desktop was really fully booted another 30 mins or so (it's really the 4K read/writes) which make normal USB sticks mostly unusable. With the USB-SSD Stick you barely notice that you didn't boot from internal SSD. I can really recommend this stick now it works. it's blazing fast.
(05-14-2017, 09:47 AM)marcelser Wrote: Yes that's the stick I'm talking about.

But this issue gets even stranger. Because I was not sure the stick was physically okay I installed the Corsair SSD Toolbox (which in myopinion has no real value) and I installed macroit disk scanner and did a sector scan of the stick. But I forgot to stop WinUSB. After quite same timer after the sector scan was finished and found no errors I wanted to shutdown my computer and do somethint else and noticed that I did let WinToUSB running in the background while I did the sector scan and everything and all of a sudden it showed 100% installation complete and the stick now works. The only problem left is, what made it work as there are more or less 4 possibiltities
1.) it really takes some an hour approximately to complete from 95% to 100%
2.) it worked accidentally (maybe next time it fails again)
3.) it worked because I did install the SSD toolbox
4.) it worked because I did the surface scan whilei it was running

However, the Stick now works and changes also seemed to be saved permantly back to the stick so no need to change the image through virtualbox anymore. What I was not disappointed is the speed of this stick (which is more ore less a mini USB-SSD drive) as speed was mostly like with the internal SSD and Windows booted in seconds. Whereas with the normal USB Stick it took approx 15-30 mins and logging in till the desktop was really fully booted another 30 mins or so (it's really the 4K read/writes) which make normal USB sticks mostly unusable. With the USB-SSD Stick you barely notice that you didn't boot from internal SSD. I can really recommend this stick now it works. it's blazing fast.

Theoretically, it should take only a few minutes from 95% to 100%. Can you try doing it again? And this time remove the SSD toolbox and do not run the surface scan.
Thanks.