Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"License error: Booting from a VHD is not supported on this system"
Two weeks ago or so I used WintoUSB to create a Win7 Home Premium Live on Lexar flash drive. In the options of WintoUSB program was available only an option VHD, the other ones were greyed out. So I went for it as I had no other choice. An installation took all the possible time as supposed to be taken to install, so at some moment I thought I had made it. Then window with the error had appeared Huh  Angry   Please, take a look at the photo below.

I have 2 Win7 ISO files. So, that's what happened to one using WintoUSB as I described above. And another one went thru an installation process  with no problem. In case of another file WintoUSB showed only available option as legacy to proceed. As to an ISO in program with only available a VHD option seems to me weird and unknown.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm sorry, this is a known issue, Windows 7 Home Edition does not support booting from a VHD file. And from our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode based Windows To Go may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create portable Windows, and the VHD mode has best compatibility. For these two reasons, installing Windows 7 to the USB flash drive is not recommended, and we recommend using an external hard drive to install Windows 7 Home Edition.
(05-25-2021, 12:59 PM)admin Wrote: I'm sorry, this is a known issue, Windows 7 Home Edition does not support booting from a VHD file. And from our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode based Windows To Go may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create portable Windows, and the VHD mode has best compatibility. For these two reasons, installing Windows 7 to the USB flash drive is not recommended, and we recommend using an external hard drive to install Windows 7 Home Edition.

You use a phrase based Windows To Go. Not only in this post, also I have noticed this one in your other posts. It's not quiet clear to me what specifically do you mean by this. 
Based Windows To Go as a Home Edition all Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10)? 
Or all these OS Windows that are workable as Windows To Go?
(05-30-2021, 08:23 AM)doer Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 12:59 PM)admin Wrote: I'm sorry, this is a known issue, Windows 7 Home Edition does not support booting from a VHD file. And from our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode based Windows To Go may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create portable Windows, and the VHD mode has best compatibility. For these two reasons, installing Windows 7 to the USB flash drive is not recommended, and we recommend using an external hard drive to install Windows 7 Home Edition.

You use a phrase based Windows To Go. Not only in this post, also I have noticed this one in your other posts. It's not quiet clear to me what specifically do you mean by this. 
Based Windows To Go as a Home Edition all Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10)? 
Or all these OS Windows that are workable as Windows To Go?

The “legacy mode based Windows To Go” means Windows To Go created using the legacy installation mode option, and the “VHD(X) mode based Windows To Go” means Windows To Go created using the VHD(X) installation mode option.

No external SSD either? Just better to use external (traditional) hard disk drive?
(06-02-2021, 04:34 PM)doer Wrote:

No external SSD either? Just better to use external (traditional) hard disk drive?

The external hard drive we mentioned earlier includes external SSD and external HDD.