WinToUSB can help you to clone your current Windows OS installation (Windows 7 or later) to a USB drive as a Windows To Go
Using WinToUSB to clone your current Windows OS installation to a USB drive:
- Click to open the WinToUSB installation file. Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install WinToUSB.
- Connect the destination USB hard drive or flash drive to the computer with an installed copy of WinToUSB.
- Please use the following guidelines to prepare the partitions on the destination USB hard drive. You do not need to perform this step if you are using a USB flash drive to create Windows To Go, because WinToUSB will automatically format this USB flash drive in setp 6.
- Booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers (Recommended, need version 2.2 or later): Covert the USB drive to MBR partition scheme then create the system and boot partitions. The system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- Booting BIOS-based computers: Covert the USB drive to MBR partition scheme and create the system and boot partitions. The system partition can be FAT32 or NTFS format and the boot partition must be NTFS format. The system partition and boot partition can be the same partition.
- Booting UEFI-based computers: Covert the USB drive to GPT partition scheme and create the EFI system partition (ESP) and boot partition. The EFI system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- The destination boot partition must be 20% larger than the used space on source boot partition.
- If the destination system partition is FAT32 format, then it must be greater than or equal to 40 MB and less than or equal to 32 GB.
- Sector by sector clone option enables you to clone all sectors from source boot partition to destination boot partition.
- Run WinToUSB as administrator.
- Click the button, then click "Next".
- Select the destination disk in the drop-down list. If your USB drive is not correctly recognized by WinToUSB, you need to click the button for the program to recognize the USB drive. WinToUSB will automatically format the destination drive if it is a USB flash drive.
- Select the boot partition and system partition from the partition list, the selected partitions will be marked as red.
- Click "Next". After clicking "Next", a pop-up will appear asking you if you want to build a WinPE image to continue. Click "Yes".
- After successfully builded the WinPE image, WinToUSB will prompt you to reboot the computer, click "Yes" button to allow WinToUSB to reboot your computer.
- It takes some time to clone. After successfully cloned restart the computer and change BIOS to boot from your USB drive.
Follow these simple steps, you can migrate Windows OS to USB drive with WinToUSB easily.