This tutorial will show you how to install any version of Windows 10 onto a USB flash drive and run Windows 10 from the USB flash drive. After the installation is complete, you can install programs and copy files to the USB drive, then you can take the Windows 10 To Go USB drive to anywhere you want to go and use it on any computer, whether it is a Legacy BIOS or UEFI computer.
Steps to install Windows 10 on a USB flash drive:
Stuff you'll need:
- A fast USB flash drive (at least 16G)
- Windows 10 installation ISO file
- WinToUSB V3.3 beta or later
- Connect the USB flash drive to the computer.
- Download and install WinToUSB, then run it as administrator.
- Click the button, then click the button and select the Windows 10 installation ISO file from the open dialog box.
- WinToUSB scans for and lists installable operating systems in the Windows 10 installation ISO. Please select the edition of Windows you want to install, then click "Next".
- Select the USB flash drive in the drop-down list. If the USB drive is not correctly recognized by WinToUSB, you need to click the button for the program to recognize the USB drive.
- After you select the USB drive, a pop-up will appear asking you if you want to format it to continue, tick the "MBR for BIOS and UEFI" checkbox, then click "Yes".
- After clicking "Yes", WinToUSB begins formatting. Please wait until that format operation is complete.
- After successfully formated the USB drive, select the installation mode, then click "Next".
- After clicking "Next", WinToUSB begins installing Windows 10 to the USB drive.
- It takes some time to install. After installation restart the computer and change BIOS to boot from your USB drive.
- Windows 10 normal installation starts up and you have to complete all the installation steps. After that, you can install programs, copy files, etc.