Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem creating Grandfather, Father, Son backups
Just an update:
The full and the first two incremental backups were created just fine, now just waiting for Sunday to see a differential backup created.

A couple points of feedback on the beta (may apply to the current version too):

1. in the backup rule I had Task name as System Backup, Description as System Backup, and Destination as \\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup
However the backup files were place in the folder
\\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup\System Backup\
when I had expected them to be placed in the folder
\\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup\

Not much of a problem, but for those where path length may be an issue, this is something that you might want to look at

2. When you edit the backup rule it seems you can change everything but the Destination, it would nice to be able to change the destination. Also, if the destination is changed for the program to copy any old files in the old destination to the new destination - or at least prompt the user to see if they want that done.

Thanks for the great program!
(10-04-2023, 02:04 AM)RobLatour Wrote: Just an update:
The full and the first two incremental backups were created just fine, now just waiting for Sunday to see a differential backup created.

A couple points of feedback on the beta (may apply to the current version too):

1. in the backup rule I had Task name as System Backup, Description as System Backup, and Destination as \\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup
However the backup files were place in the folder
\\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup\System Backup\
when I had expected them to be placed in the folder
\\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\System Backup\

Not much of a problem, but for those where path length may be an issue, this is something that you might want to look at

2. When you edit the backup rule it seems you can change everything but the Destination, it would nice to be able to change the destination.  Also, if the destination is changed for the program to copy any old files in the old destination to the new destination - or at least prompt the user to see if they want that done.

Thanks for the great program!

Hasleo Backup Suite will create the backup folder using the task name, so you only need to specify \\192.168.1.185\home\W11 Server\ as the destination path when creating the backup task. Regarding the issue of not allowing change the destination path, we will improve it in future releases.
I'm testing the beta. I tested an image retention policy, and it worked well.
(10-06-2023, 04:57 PM)khanyash Wrote: I'm testing the beta. I tested an image retention policy, and it worked well.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was an EaseUS user and used the image retention policy that started a new backup set every 30 days or month. My backup scheme was simple: full backup with the mode set to incremental and the schedule "daily-run once every day". EaseUS used to start a new backup set every 30 days, i.e., full backup and then incrementals. EaseUS used to delete the old backup set when the new one had a few incrementals.

Is something like this possible with the Hasleo image retention policy?
(10-07-2023, 05:25 PM)khanyash Wrote: I was an EaseUS user and used the image retention policy that started a new backup set every 30 days or month. My backup scheme was simple: full backup with the mode set to incremental and the schedule "daily-run once every day". EaseUS used to start a new backup set every 30 days, i.e., full backup and then incrementals. EaseUS used to delete the old backup set when the new one had a few incrementals.

Is something like this possible with the Hasleo image retention policy?

Hasleo Backup Suite does not have the concept of "backup set", but you may be able to implement a similar retention policy in the following ways:
1. Perform a full backup on the first day of each month, and perform incremental backups on other days.
2. Set full backups to be retained for more than 31 days.
(10-07-2023, 10:53 PM)admin Wrote: Hasleo Backup Suite does not have the concept of "backup set", but you may be able to implement a similar retention policy in the following ways:
1. Perform a full backup on the first day of each month, and perform incremental backups on other days.

Would this setup delete the old backups when Hasleo creates a new full backup on the first day of each month?
(10-08-2023, 01:30 AM)khanyash Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 10:53 PM)admin Wrote: Hasleo Backup Suite does not have the concept of "backup set", but you may be able to implement a similar retention policy in the following ways:

Would this setup delete the old backups when Hasleo creates a new full backup on the first day of each month?

If you want to delete old backups when HBS creates a new full backup, you need to set the program to keep only one full backup.
Some additional feedback on the Beta.

I had set up a schedule for Full backups to happen on the first Sunday monthly, Differential backups to happen weekly on Sundays, and incremental backups to happen daily. The daily and weekly backups have been running fine, but it appears the Full monthly backup, which had been scheduled for November 4th this month, did not run - rather it appears a daily incremental backup ran on that day.

I am manually running a full backup now.
Rob, you should update your Beta to THIS version which should solve your issue... the hierarchy in scheduling was corrected in this release.