Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to create WinPE.iso
(12-13-2023, 11:46 PM)admin Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 10:34 PM)neversaynever1 Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 09:46 PM)admin Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 06:58 PM)neversaynever1 Wrote: 63% is what I see displayed on the progress bar. Before reaching 63% I seem to remember that the values displayed are: 5%, after one second 25%, after 15 seconds 45%, after another 20 seconds 62%, and after an instant 63%. And there it stops.
On my second PC, if I remember correctly, after 62% it waits about ten seconds to go to 72%, then quickly to 100% and finish.

Please try the version below to see if you can create WinPE properly.
https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software...231213.exe

Wonderful. I installed the new version . The bar moved to 5%, 15%, 20%, 45%, 63% in less than a minute. Then it remained at 63% for about 2-3 minutes (in the meantime the Backup Suite Worker process was occupying the CPU at about 20-25% and no Hasleo process appeared "suspended"). After 2 minutes the bar jumped to 99% and soon after to 100% ending the operation.
The process took longer than on my 2nd (and slower) PC, but everything is now OK and the WinPE.iso file (which I saved so that I could later create with Rufus a USB disk), is also correctly located in the Hasleo 'bin' folder.
Thank you for your promptness and seriousness in dealing with this rare problem. For my "education" (even though I am 75 years old it is never too late) I would be curious to know broadly what was blocking the creation of WinPE and the suspension of Hasleo processes.
Thank you again for your patience and spirit of service.

In fact, we don't know what caused the problem, we just used the folder copy function we wrote instead of the executable file provided by Windows for copying folders.
OK. This means that there is some malfunction on my device.
What happens with the next official Suite updates?
Will I still have difficulty creating the new emergency disk? If so, if I understand correctly, I will have to arrange to copy the Winpe.iso file to the 'bin' folder with each update. Correct?
Thank you again.
(12-14-2023, 01:11 AM)neversaynever1 Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 06:58 PM)neversaynever1 Wrote: 63% is what I see displayed on the progress bar. Before reaching 63% I seem to remember that the values displayed are: 5%, after one second 25%, after 15 seconds 45%, after another 20 seconds 62%, and after an instant 63%. And there it stops.
On my second PC, if I remember correctly, after 62% it waits about ten seconds to go to 72%, then quickly to 100% and finish.

Wonderful. I installed the new version . The bar moved to 5%, 15%, 20%, 45%, 63% in less than a minute. Then it remained at 63% for about 2-3 minutes (in the meantime the Backup Suite Worker process was occupying the CPU at about 20-25% and no Hasleo process appeared "suspended"). After 2 minutes the bar jumped to 99% and soon after to 100% ending the operation.
The process took longer than on my 2nd (and slower) PC, but everything is now OK and the WinPE.iso file (which I saved so that I could later create with Rufus a USB disk), is also correctly located in the Hasleo 'bin' folder.
Thank you for your promptness and seriousness in dealing with this rare problem. For my "education" (even though I am 75 years old it is never too late) I would be curious to know broadly what was blocking the creation of WinPE and the suspension of Hasleo processes.

In fact, we don't know what caused the problem, we just used the folder copy function we wrote instead of the executable file provided by Windows for copying folders.
Will I still have difficulty creating the new emergency disk? If so, if I understand correctly, I will have to arrange to copy the Winpe.iso file to the 'bin' folder with each update. Correct?
Thank you again.

I'm sorry that it will take some time for the new version to be released, so you will need to copy WinPE.iso from another computer before the new version is released.
(12-14-2023, 01:11 AM)neversaynever1 Wrote:

Thank you again.
@neversaynever1 - Hasleo offers a separate app that allows you to download the current WinPE from MicroSloth and store it locally as an OPE file (off-line PE). The process (it's simple) may be found HERE.   I do this and keep it in a separate folder of my own.

Then, whenever I need to build some sort of Emergency Disk (upon new releases), I use the "Download from Microsoft" CheckBox, and on the next page it offers me an option (which I select) to use a local copy of WinPE... at which point in the process I point it to the local OPE file.  The build continues using the local OPE file (no downloads) and builds the emergency disk accordingly.  For me, this eliminates any MS downloads and speeds up the Emergency Disk WinPE "manufacturing process"... and should eliminate your issues as well.
@Froggie - Thank you very much Froggie for this helpful suggestion. I will definitely use it.
I take the opportunity to ask you:
1 - I think The Winpe.ope file is different from the Winpe.iso and the difference is not only in the extension... What are the differences between the two files and is there any difference in behavior?
2 - When and how often should the offline Winpe.ope copy be updated (recreated) ? [ever?, at every monthly Windows OS update, at every OS feature update, at every Hasleo Backup Suite update, other ?]
Thanks again.
@neversaynever1 - I'll try and explain.

1. The OPE file and the ISO file are completely different.  The OPE file contains all the "standard" components (base Windows PE System components) of a vanilla WinPE to insure that it's built with the latest MicroSloth released components.  It's contents, along with the Hasleo PE-based version of their software are combined and built into the Hasleo WinPE ISO which resides in the "bin" folder.  Everything that's in the ISO file, starts out in the OPE and is modified for use by Hasleo when the WinPE is built.  Basically, the OPE file and Hasleo itself contain all the building blocks needed to produce their WinPE.iso.

2.The base WinPE components don't change very often as far as MicroSloth is concerned.  For instance, the current WinPE Windows 10 is version v2004... it's already over 3-1/2 yrs old and has remained during all System updates & Upgrades since the 2nd quarter of 2020.  You can always reference WikiPedia to see the latest versions available and what they are based on.

Since Hasleo's WinPE.iso is based on currently supported MS components (3-1/2 yrs old) and the latest release of HBS, it would behoove you to rebuild the Emergency Media whenever Hasleo issues a new release... if you feel you need it.  When a new release is available, I would look at their ChangeLog and determine whether the changes are really applicable to your Emergency Disk environment... some changes many not have any affect on restorations at all.  Major feature changes which would improve restoration processes (ie, Delta Restore) would definitely call for an Emergency Disk rebuild, scheduling changes not so much since you wouldn't use those features in an Emergency Disk environment.  Best call would be to rebuild the ISO whenever Hasleo comes up with a new Public release.

I might add, whenever you install a new version of HBS, the installer has you uninstall the previous version.  This process will remove the previously built Hasleo WinPE.iso.  Anytime you really need this file will probably be whenever you use the automatic restoration function, and at that point it will ask for a rebuid during the restoration setup.
(12-15-2023, 05:55 AM)Froggie Wrote: MicroSloth

"Microsloth?"

Are you 12?

If it wasn't for Microsoft, you wouldn't have a forum for your Hasleo posts.
(12-15-2023, 11:29 AM)OldNavyGuy Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 05:55 AM)Froggie Wrote: MicroSloth

"Microsloth?"

Are you 12?

If it wasn't for Microsoft, you wouldn't have a forum for your Hasleo posts.

The application downloads WinPE components from Microsoft's official website.
(12-15-2023, 05:55 AM)Froggie Wrote: @neversaynever1 - I'll try and explain.
@froggie - Very clear explanation that helped elevate the low level of my education.
Thank you, I am much more aware now.
(12-15-2023, 09:17 PM)neversaynever1 Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 05:55 AM)Froggie Wrote: @neversaynever1 - I'll try and explain.
@froggie - Very clear explanation that helped elevate the low level of my education.
Thank you, I am much more aware now.
@froggie - just FYI.
I used the procedure of creating the .ope file via WinpeDownloader.
I then created with HBS the WinPE.iso via winPE.ope.
The procedure worked perfectly with the non-public version 231213 provided to me by Admin.
I then re-installed the public version 4.0.0 and retried the creation of WinPE.iso via winPE.ope; the process crashed at exactly 63% as before. This means that the crash occurs during the merging of winPE.ope with the software part of HBS. As Admin correctly identified there is something anomalous about the use of Microsoft's copy command in this instance; whereas with the copy routine written by HBS the merge happens regularly.
The solution suggested to me by Froggy, however very useful, does not help in my case.
For now I continue to use the non-public version 231213 while waiting for the next public version.
The question remains as to what causes 'copy' to fail in that situation on one of my machines: but I do not have the knowledge to solve it.
Thanks again.
(12-16-2023, 12:43 AM)neversaynever1 Wrote: The question remains as to what causes 'copy' to fail in that situation on one of my machines: but I do not have the knowledge to solve it.
Thanks again.

First thing would be to make sure your Windows Updates are current.

There was a recent issue where copying and saving files was not working correctly. This was fixed in KB5027215.

Check your drive for errors by running "chkdsk" (no quotes) in an elevated Command Prompt (Run as administrator)

If it finds errors, run "chkdsk /r" (no quotes) to fix them.