Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[Archived] Hasleo Backup Suite V5.6.1.0 BETA Released!
#11
(12-14-2025, 07:25 AM)admin Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 05:38 AM)guest123 Wrote: No problem! Can you please tell if it is because of too low demand from users or is it too complicated to implement?

For a BitLocker-encrypted partition, a VSS backup captures non-encrypted data. To directly back up the encrypted data, a driver must be written, but we currently lack the driver signing certificate.

I understood that I think but what I am talking about was taking backup of system image of encrypted system partition via rescue disk where VSS won't be involved & locked C partition is unlocked via correct password & similarly the backup taken in such manner will be restored to same partition via rescue disc after unlocking the C drive partition so that after restore the encrypted partition is still encrypted but now unlocked & can be relocked without re-encrypting the whole C drive again. I thought Hasleo already has this capability via "Bitlocker Anywhere for Windows".
Reply
#12
(12-14-2025, 09:25 AM)guest123 Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 07:25 AM)admin Wrote: For a BitLocker-encrypted partition, a VSS backup captures non-encrypted data. To directly back up the encrypted data, a driver must be written, but we currently lack the driver signing certificate.

I understood that I think but what I am talking about was taking backup of system image of encrypted system partition via rescue disk where VSS won't be involved & locked C partition is unlocked via correct password & similarly the backup taken in such manner will be restored to same partition via rescue disc after unlocking the C drive partition so that after restore the encrypted partition is still encrypted but now unlocked & can be relocked without re-encrypting the whole C drive again. I thought Hasleo already has this capability via "Bitlocker Anywhere for Windows".

Couldn't HBS just (optionally) save the Bitlocker recovery key in the backup (and image data unencrypted as it is now)?
And when you decide to delta restore, the WinPE instance could try to unlock the drive first.

If that fails, it might ask for the recovery key instead. If all fails (as a fallback) the restore would continue the way it is now: Full (non-delta) restore and the drive in unencrypted.

That way we would have the option to delta restore (if drive is unlocked). Backing up data in an encrypted state shouldn't really be necessary anyway, you can always set a backup password to protect your data.
Reply
#13
(12-14-2025, 12:34 PM)al3x Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 09:25 AM)guest123 Wrote: I understood that I think but what I am talking about was taking backup of system image of encrypted system partition via rescue disk where VSS won't be involved & locked C partition is unlocked via correct password & similarly the backup taken in such manner will be restored to same partition via rescue disc after unlocking the C drive partition so that after restore the encrypted partition is still encrypted but now unlocked & can be relocked without re-encrypting the whole C drive again. I thought Hasleo already has this capability via "Bitlocker Anywhere for Windows".

Couldn't HBS just (optionally) save the Bitlocker recovery key in the backup (and image data unencrypted as it is now)?
And when you decide to delta restore, the WinPE instance could try to unlock the drive first.

If that fails, it might ask for the recovery key instead. If all fails (as a fallback) the restore would continue the way it is now: Full (non-delta) restore and the drive in unencrypted.

That way we would have the option to delta restore (if drive is unlocked). Backing up data in an encrypted state shouldn't really be necessary anyway, you can always set a backup password to protect your data.

I am not expecting delta restore to work with bitlocker encrypted partitions. HBS can already backup & restore a bitlocker encrypted C partition perfectly fine with one small drawback of having to enable bitlocker encryption on C partition again which in turn means re-encrypting the C partition. Macrium & Terabyte Image for Windows already have this feature of restoring bitlocker encrypted C partition without having to re-enable & re-encrypt the C partition afterwards & seeing the features of Hasleo "Bitlocker Anywhere for Windows" I thought it would be simple to incorporate this feature in HBS too.
Reply
#14
(12-14-2025, 02:49 PM)guest123 Wrote: I am not expecting delta restore to work with bitlocker encrypted partitions. HBS can already backup & restore a bitlocker encrypted C partition perfectly fine with one small drawback of having to enable bitlocker encryption on C partition again which in turn means re-encrypting the C partition.

Yeah, because currently it's completely replacing the partition instead. That's why I was mentioning delta restore with the idea of maybe saving the recovery key. Wink
Reply
#15
(12-14-2025, 05:56 PM)al3x Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 02:49 PM)guest123 Wrote: I am not expecting delta restore to work with bitlocker encrypted partitions. HBS can already backup & restore a bitlocker encrypted C partition perfectly fine with one small drawback of having to enable bitlocker encryption on C partition again which in turn means re-encrypting the C partition.

Yeah, because currently it's completely replacing the partition instead. That's why I was mentioning delta restore with the idea of maybe saving the recovery key. Wink

Take a look at the links below. More specifically, look at the "BitLocker Live Restore/Clone" section in macrium link which does use delta restore (I assumed incorrectly earlier) while preserving bitlocker encryption state & "Restoring BitLocker Partitions" section in Terabyte link.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/displa...e+Outcomes

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb-...-programs/

@admin Please take a look at above to confirm that HBS needs a signed driver to achieve what I mentioned earlier as I think HBS can also achieve this by incorporating some features from "Bitlocker Anywhere for Windows".
Reply
#16
(12-14-2025, 07:15 PM)guest123 Wrote: Take a look at the links below. More specifically, look at the "BitLocker Live Restore/Clone" section in macrium link which does use delta restore (I assumed incorrectly earlier) while preserving bitlocker encryption state & "Restoring BitLocker Partitions" section in Terabyte link.

That's exactly what I think might be possible in HBS as well by saving the Bitlocker recovery key. That's my whole point actually Big Grin

(12-14-2025, 07:15 PM)guest123 Wrote: @admin Please take a look at above to confirm that HBS needs a signed driver to achieve what I mentioned earlier [...]

Probably works without a driver unless Bitlocker somehow blocks direct I/O write. But I hope it's possible, let's wait for @admin here.
Reply
#17
(12-14-2025, 08:37 AM)admin Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 04:31 AM)n8chavez Wrote: Thanks for the changelog!

Forgot to mention, you can now mount and restore images directly from the File Explorer right-click menu. I've updated the changelog.

Oh awesome!!  Thanks.  I'll test this new build tonight.
Reply
#18
This new build is very, very, good. The new context menu entries are working perfectly!
Reply
#19
(12-14-2025, 08:10 PM)al3x Wrote:
(12-14-2025, 07:15 PM)guest123 Wrote: Take a look at the links below. More specifically, look at the "BitLocker Live Restore/Clone" section in macrium link which does use delta restore (I assumed incorrectly earlier) while preserving bitlocker encryption state & "Restoring BitLocker Partitions" section in Terabyte link.

That's exactly what I think might be possible in HBS as well by saving the Bitlocker recovery key. That's my whole point actually Big Grin

(12-14-2025, 07:15 PM)guest123 Wrote: @admin Please take a look at above to confirm that HBS needs a signed driver to achieve what I mentioned earlier [...]

Probably works without a driver unless Bitlocker somehow blocks direct I/O write. But I hope it's possible, let's wait for @admin here.

Thank you, @guest123 and @ al3x. We will consider your suggestions if they are technically feasible. In fact, I personally believe there are two possible solutions: one is to directly back up the encrypted data, and the other is to back up the unencrypted data and then re-encrypt it during restoration. The final solution must be determined after thorough exploration and research by our developers.
Reply
#20
(12-15-2025, 05:49 AM)n8chavez Wrote: This new build is very, very, good.  The new context menu entries are working perfectly!

Glad to hear it. Please note that the context menu currently has the following two limitations:
1. If a task such as backup or restore is currently in progress, the context menu cannot be used.
2. If any child window or dialog box (e.g., a settings window, about window, etc.) is open, the context menu cannot be used.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)