Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem creating Grandfather, Father, Son backups
Thanks very much - I just installed the updated beta.
@Froggie Sadly the full monthly backup scheduled to run today (as the first Sunday of the month) completed as a differential backup.

I am manually running a full backup now.
You shouldn't be running any BETA any longer... update to the public release v4.  I have no issues with it, and I purposely listed by operations with the INC 1st, the DIFF 2nd and the FULL last.  No problems for me.. Check your scheduled FULL and see if the image type is really set to FULL. I found out if you set the image type when you enter the scheduling window, then select the type of schedule you want, that setting doesn't stick. It only sticks when you set it in the actual schedule window.

I'm running your schedule set (INC first then FULL second at 5pm EST), I'll stop back after it runs.
Rob, I was able to reproduce your problem (not following proper hierarchy with identical schedules) by playing a DAILY INC against a 1st Sunday FULL at the same time.  I've never used that particular schedule item (1st Sunday of the month) so I've never seen the problem.  I use daily INCs, weekly DIFFs (on Sunday) and monthly FULLs (1st of each month) with no issues, even when the 1st of the month falls on a Sunday.  My schedule entry list has INCs first, DIFFs second and FULLs third.

I'm sure the Devs will look into this scheduling anomaly... (won't you... Idea Big Grin )
Thanks for reporting the issue and we will look into it.
(12-04-2023, 08:59 AM)Froggie Wrote: Rob, I was able to reproduce your problem (not following proper hierarchy with identical schedules) by playing a DAILY INC against a 1st Sunday FULL at the same time.  I've never used that particular schedule item (1st Sunday of the month) so I've never seen the problem.  I use daily INCs, weekly DIFFs (on Sunday) and monthly FULLs (1st of each month) with no issues, even when the 1st of the month falls on a Sunday.  My schedule entry list has INCs first, DIFFs second and FULLs third.

I'm sure the Devs will look into this scheduling anomaly... (won't you... Idea Big Grin )

Sunday is the first day of the week, but there is no Sunday in the first week of December 2023, which is the cause of the problem.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=418]

The program runs according to our previous design, but this design seems unreasonable. The correct design should be to run on the nth xxxday, not on the xxxday of the nth week.
Hello,

I wanted to describe my backup system and the issues I have run into with Hasleo Backup Suite:

All Backups are triggered manually by me.

Day 01: Create a FULL IMAGE
Day 02: Create Incremental
Day 03: Create Incremental
Day 04: Create Incremental
Day 05: Create Incremental
Day 06: Create Incremental
Day 07: Create Incremental
Day 08: Create DIFFERENTIAL
Day 09: Create Incremental
Day 10: Create Incremental
Day 11: Create Incremental
Day 12: Create Incremental
Day 13: Create Incremental
Day 14: Create Incremental
Day 15: Create DIFFERENTIAL
Day 16: Create Incremental
Day ...
Day 29: Create New Backup (Full)

Problems I noticed:

1. I could not find out if the Incremental on day 9 REQUIRES
a) The Full Image from day 1 AND the Differential Image from day 8
OR
b) The Full Image from day 1 AND the Incremental Images from days 2,3,4,5,6,7 ?

I looked into the folder with the backup files. I created a news folder "Test".
I moved the Incrementals from Day 2,3,4,5,6,7 into the folder "Test".
I then tried to browse the Incremental from Day 9. I was able to browse it (no error message "missing backup files").

I then moved the Incremntals from folder "Test" back to the Backup Folder.

Then I moved the Differental from day 8 into the Folder "Test".
I then tried to browse the Incremental from Day 9 AGAIN. I was AGAIN able to browse it (no error message "missing backup files").

This is unexpected behavior. There should be an error message in one of the two scenarios. I think it is very important that before browsing an image file, it is made sure all files required are accesible/available.

I think INCREMENTALS should always be created like this:
1. Look for the LATEST Backup file in the Backup Folder.
2. Base the incremental on that LASTEST backup file, no matter if it is Inc, Diff, or Full.

The advantage of this system is that the user can delete all incrementals that are older than the last Differential. It is also better for data security / corruption probability. And it leaves more possibilities for the user to thin out (delete) (some of) the backups.

Is this the case?
(12-05-2023, 06:24 PM)admin Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 08:59 AM)Froggie Wrote: Rob, I was able to reproduce your problem (not following proper hierarchy with identical schedules) by playing a DAILY INC against a 1st Sunday FULL at the same time.  I've never used that particular schedule item (1st Sunday of the month) so I've never seen the problem.  I use daily INCs, weekly DIFFs (on Sunday) and monthly FULLs (1st of each month) with no issues, even when the 1st of the month falls on a Sunday.  My schedule entry list has INCs first, DIFFs second and FULLs third.

Sunday is the first day of the week, but there is no Sunday in the first week of December 2023, which is the cause of the problem.

The program runs according to our previous design, but this design seems unreasonable. The correct design should be to run on the nth xxxday, not on the xxxday of the nth week.
Thanks for the explanation... and I agree completely, it got me as well.
(12-06-2023, 02:24 AM)Froggie Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 06:24 PM)admin Wrote:

Thanks for the explanation... and I agree completely, it got me as well.

We have fixed the issue in the following version and it now changes to run on the nth xxxday.
https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software...231207.exe
(12-05-2023, 11:40 PM)m.e. Wrote: Hello,

I wanted to describe my backup system and the issues I have run into with Hasleo Backup Suite:

All Backups are triggered manually by me.

Day 01: Create a FULL IMAGE
Day 02: Create Incremental
Day 03: Create Incremental
Day 04: Create Incremental
Day 05: Create Incremental
Day 06: Create Incremental
Day 07: Create Incremental
Day 08: Create DIFFERENTIAL
Day 09: Create Incremental
Day 10: Create Incremental
Day 11: Create Incremental
Day 12: Create Incremental
Day 13: Create Incremental
Day 14: Create Incremental
Day 15: Create DIFFERENTIAL
Day 16: Create Incremental
Day ...
Day 29: Create New Backup (Full)

Problems I noticed:

1. I could not find out if the Incremental on day 9 REQUIRES
a) The Full Image from day 1 AND the Differential Image from day 8
OR
b) The Full Image from day 1 AND the Incremental Images from days 2,3,4,5,6,7 ?

I looked into the folder with the backup files. I created a news folder "Test".
I moved the Incrementals from Day 2,3,4,5,6,7 into the folder "Test".
I then tried to browse the Incremental from Day 9. I was able to browse it (no error message "missing backup files").

I then moved the Incremntals from folder "Test" back to the Backup Folder.

Then I moved the Differental from day 8 into the Folder "Test".
I then tried to browse the Incremental from Day 9 AGAIN. I was AGAIN able to browse it (no error message "missing backup files").

This is unexpected behavior. There should be an error message in one of the two scenarios. I think it is very important that before browsing an image file, it is made sure all files required are accesible/available.

I think INCREMENTALS should always be created like this:
1. Look for the LATEST Backup file in the Backup Folder.
2. Base the incremental on that LASTEST backup file, no matter if it is Inc, Diff, or Full.

The advantage of this system is that the user can delete all incrementals that are older than the last Differential. It is also better for data security / corruption probability. And it leaves more possibilities for the user to thin out (delete) (some of) the backups.

Is this the case?

Yes, you are correct, incremental backups are always generated based on the last backup file. Regarding the issue of the program not prompting for image corruption, it's because the program will only check the integrity of the image when you click Next button.