Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[Archived] Feature REQUESTS 2024
I think there is basic partition management within HBS during disk/partition restore. At least being able to resize partitions before restoring them if space is available and if necessary, is what I have seen during my restores.

I never used the function, but one can choose to resize, I assume also if restoring to a blank new disk? I am thinking of getting larger SSD drive,
but I have no idea of how to restore an entire disk backup from a 256GB SSD to a new larger 521GB blank SSD drive. I assume I'd just resize the OS partition C and the winre recovery.

I have done many complete disk restores, I just am not sure of the steps to restore to a blank drive as HBS will not restore if the partition structure is not there,
apparently this is where using the "Advanced button" comes in or am I missing something? I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Thank you!
Reply
(09-11-2024, 08:37 PM)Jim1cor13 Wrote: I have done many complete disk restores, I just am not sure of the steps to restore to a blank drive as HBS will not restore if the partition structure is not there,
apparently this is where using the "Advanced button" comes in or am I missing something? I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Thank you!

@Jim1cor13, it will restore just fine to a <blank> drive... and, as you said, you can move/resize partitions to your hearts content while doing that process.  It cannot do a DELTA RETSORE under those conditions but most anything else is good to go.  The <blank> disk is nothing more than a canvas to HBS... give it a try on an ext USB device if you have one laying around.

The "Advanced Mode" just offers you more flexibility in partition placement and sizing (eliminates existing gaps, etc.)...
Reply
(09-11-2024, 11:28 PM)Froggie Wrote:
(09-11-2024, 08:37 PM)Jim1cor13 Wrote: I have done many complete disk restores, I just am not sure of the steps to restore to a blank drive as HBS will not restore if the partition structure is not there,
apparently this is where using the "Advanced button" comes in or am I missing something? I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Thank you!

@Jim1cor13, it will restore just fine to a <blank> drive... and, as you said, you can move/resize partitions to your hearts content while doing that process.  It cannot do a DELTA RETSORE under those conditions but most anything else is good to go.  The <blank> disk is nothing more than a canvas to HBS... give it a try on an ext USB device if you have one laying around.

The "Advanced Mode" just offers you more flexibility in partition placement and sizing (eliminates existing gaps, etc.)...

I really appreciate your help @Froggie  Makes sense that Delta would not work. I assume the blank disk should simply boot after restore, end up GPT as I use UEFI and my backup is of a GPT disk. Thanks again!
Reply
@Jim1cor13, your assumptions are correct... Humpty will be all back together once again  Smile
Reply
(09-11-2024, 08:37 PM)Jim1cor13 Wrote: I think there is basic partition management within HBS during disk/partition restore. At least being able to resize partitions before restoring them if space is available and if necessary, is what I have seen during my restores.

I never used the function, but one can choose to resize, I assume also if restoring to a blank new disk? I am thinking of getting larger SSD drive,
but I have no idea of how to restore an entire disk backup from a 256GB SSD to a new larger 521GB blank SSD drive. I assume I'd just resize the OS partition C and the winre recovery.

I have done many complete disk restores, I just am not sure of the steps to restore to a blank drive as HBS will not restore if the partition structure is not there,
apparently this is where using the "Advanced button" comes in or am I missing something? I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Thank you!

HBS uses a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) approach when laying out partitions, which means that the partition layout set will be the one you get after the restore/clone operation is completed, it has nothing to do with whether the destination disk is blank or non-blank.
Reply
Here's an odd issue. It's not a bug, but something quirky. There seems to be a difference in PE/RE builds. When you use the option to add HBS to the boot menu it creates a c:\boot option, just like pretty much every other imaging apps. However, when you initiate a restore within Windows it creates an .iso and uses that as a temporary PE. My question is, why? Why not use the same PE instance that the boot entry uses? It seems needlessly redundant to use two variation of the same PE.
Reply
(09-13-2024, 02:40 AM)n8chavez Wrote: Here's an odd issue.  It's not a bug, but something quirky.  There seems to be a difference in PE/RE builds.  When you use the option to add HBS to the boot menu it creates a c:\boot option, just like pretty much every other imaging apps.  However, when you initiate a restore within Windows it creates an .iso and uses that as a temporary PE.  My question is, why?  Why not use the same PE instance that the boot entry uses?  It seems needlessly redundant to use two variation of the same PE.

Why do you think HBS does not use the same WinPE instance? In fact they use the same WinPE instance.
Reply
Because they don't. Every time I try to restore an image within Windows, thus forcing it to reboot, HBS creates an .iso and uses that. If I delete that file I get prompted that I need to create the iso. The timestamp on that .iso is the same as when I try to restore from within Windows.
Reply
(09-13-2024, 06:59 AM)n8chavez Wrote: Because they don't.  Every time I try to restore an image within Windows, thus forcing it to reboot, HBS creates an .iso and uses that.  If I delete that file I get prompted that I need to create the iso.  The timestamp on that .iso is the same as when I try to restore from within Windows.

I'm sorry that in order to ensure that the restore can be completed successfully, HBS always re-extracts the WIM file from the ISO file. Why do you have to delete ISO file?
Reply
The better question is, why take up needless space. In fact you just said that HBS does not use c:\boot, but extracts a .win from a created .iso. That's a waste.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)