I was trying to decrypt a Bitlocker protected external hard disk overnight and it seems to be stuck at 45%. I waited for another couple of hours, but the progress was still unchanged, then I paused and then resumed the decryption, the problem persists, so I realized that the decryption had failed. There's over 100 GB worth of some pretty important files on this drive, so I'm eager to get those files back. Can someone tell me how to recover data after Bitlocker decryption failed? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a software solution.
If this happens to you, we recommend that you pause the decryption and restart the computer and try again, or try decrypting on another computer. If the the problem still persists, the file system has been corrupted or BitLocker metadata has been corrupted after the decryption failed. Because Windows is no longer able to unlock this partition, we have to use a data recovery software to recover data from the decryption failed Bitlocker drive. You probably know that common data recovery software cannot recover data from a BitLocker encrypted partition, so we recommend that you use professional BitLocker data recovery software - Hasleo Data Recovery to recover data after Bitlocker decryption failed. This tutorial will teach you how to recover lost data from a bitlocker encrypted drive after Bitlocker decryption failed with Hasleo Data Recovery.
Download, install and run Hasleo Data Recovery. And you will see a screen with many options of recovery. Please select BitLocker Data Recovery mode.
1. Please select the hard disk or partition where you lose your files, then click "Scan" button to find all BitLocker encrypted partitions on the device.
2. A pop-up window will appear asking you to enter the BitLocker password or 48-digit BitLocker recovery key. If you don't want to enter the password or BitLocker recovery key here, just click the "Skip" button to skip it.
3. Hasleo Data Recovery will list all found BitLocker encrypted partitions on the target device. If you have entered the password or BitLocker recovery key in the previous step, the password status will show whether the password or BitLocker recovery key matches this partition.
4. Double click the BitLocker encrypted partition you want to recovery data from. If you have previously entered the password or BitLocker recovery key and the the password or recovery key matches, Hasleo Data Recovery will start scanning lost files. Otherwise, a pop-up window will appear asking you to enter the password or BitLocker recovery key. Enter the password or recovery key and then click "OK" button, Hasleo Data Recovery will start scanning lost files if the password or recovery key matches.
There will be a list of files found by the software, you can preview found files by path and types. Select the files you want to recover and click "Recover" button to save them. If some files are not found, please click "Deep Scan" button to start the Deep Scan Recovery process, deep scan takes more time, but can find much more lost files.
As a professional BitLocker Data Recovery software, you can not only use Hasleo Data Recovery to recover data from a decryption failed Bitlocker drive, but also use it to recover data from a encryption stuck Bitlocker drive.
Please note that:
1. You must enter the correct Bitlocker password or the 48-digits Bitlocker recovery key to successfully recover data from a BitLocker encrypted drive.
2. If the metadata area of a BitLocker encrypted drive is severely corrupted, you will not be able to recover data from this partition even if you have the correct Bitlocker password or the 48-digits Bitlocker recovery key.
3. Don't save the recovered files to the partition where your lost files originally located. This prevents your data from geting overwriten.
4. You can export/save the scanning results for later or next recovery.